The Department of Electrical has been playing a pioneering role in doing research in different areas such as, electrical power systems, optical communications, antenna design, computational electromagnetic, renewable energy, and wireless network. The faculty of the department has been constantly carrying out theoretical and experimental research on many cutting edge technologies and regularly publishes in IEEE, OSA and other top international journals. The department also undertakes some research projects sponsored by the University of Business and Technology research center.
Detailed Research Areas:
1. Electrical power systems (Dr. Elsayed A. Elfar):
• Electrical power forecasting and economic dispatch.
• Electrical power transmission and distribution.
• Electrical and electronics devices.
2. Optical communications (Dr. Islam Ashry and Dr. Ali Elrashidi):
• Optical wavelength division multiplexing (WDM) communication systems.
• Optical packet and burst switching network.
• Optical amplifiers (EDFA and SOA).
• LED and laser.
• Plasmonic sensors.
3. Antenna design (Dr. Ali Elrashidi):
• Applications of microstrip antenna.
• Using antenna in biomedical applications.
4. Computational electromagnetics (Dr. Naser Abuzaid and Dr. Islam Ashry):
• Finite-elements method.
• Finite-difference-time-domain method.
5. Renewable energy (Dr. Elsayed Elfar and Eng. Mohammad Alkhatab):
• Photovoltaic power generator.
• Polymeric solar cells.
• Improving the efficiency of solar cells.
• Hybrid solar-wind energy systems.
6. Wireless networks (Eng. Deiaa Eid and Dr. Ali Elrashidi):
• Wireless sensor networks.
• Electrophysiological devices.
- Islam Ashry, Baigang Zhang, Stefan V. Stoianov, Chalongrat Daengngam, James R. Heflin, Hans D. Robinson, and Yong Xu, “Probing the photonic density of states using layer-by-layer self-assembly," Optics Letters. 1835, 37, 2012.
- Islam Ashry, Chalongrat Daengngam, Ishac Kandas, James R. Heflin, Hans D. Robinson, and Yong Xu, “Self-assembled nano-materials for nonlinear fiber optics and tunable plasmonics," SPIE Conference. August 25, 2013.
- Nader Shehata, Kathleen Meehan, Islam Ashry, Ishac Kandas, and Yong Xu, “Lanthanide-doped ceria nanoparticles as fluorescence-quenching molecular probes for dissolved oxygen," Sensors and Actuators B. 179, 183, 2013.
- Ishac Kandas, Baigang Zhang, Chalongrat Daengngam, Islam Ashry, Chih-Yu Jao, Hans D. Robinson, James R. Heflin, Lan Yang, and Yong Xu, “High quality factor silica microspheres functionalized with self-assembled nanomaterials," Optics Express. 20601, 21, 2013.
- H. H. EL-Tamaly, E.A.EL-Sayed and Abo_H .M. EL-Sayed, Judicious Operation Of Different Types Of Induction Motors Fed By PVPS’’, Bulletin of the Faculty of Engineering, El-Minia university, Vol.16, No.1, June, 1997, pp. 113-123.
- H. H. EL-Tamaly, E.A.EL-Sayed and Abo-H.M. EL-Sayed, “ Optimum Operation of Different Types of Induction Motor Fed by PVPS”, AMSE Modeling, Measurement & Control, 1998 – vol. 69, No. 1,2, pages: 9- 27, ISSN 0761 – 2508 A.M.S.E., 69160 – Tassin, FRANCE.
- E. A. Elsayed “Computerized Controller of Electrical Power Distribution System (Design and Implementation)" Under publication.
- E. A. EL-sayed and F. M. EL-kady, “Enhancement of voltage Stability of Ring Distribution System by Optimum Reactive Power Planning”, (accepted and under publication).
- F. M. EL-Kady, E. A. EL-sayed and F. Bendary, ’’A Decision Support System for Contingency Analysis in Electrical Power System’’. 8th International Conference on Computer Theory And Applications. 15-17 September, 1998, Alexandria, Egypt, pp.VIII-40:45.
- E. A. El-sayed and H.H.EL-Tamaly, ‘’Reliability, Maintainability And Economic Analysis Of Wind Turbine Generator, System Battery Storage And Diesel Generator Combinations’’, Renewable Energy Conference & Workshop With The Combination Of 4th Conference On Applications Of Solar And Renewable And Renewable Energy And 2nd Conferences On Solar Electricity Photovoltaic And Wind, Cairo, Egypt,14-18 April, 1996.
- Abdelrahman Elleithy, Gonhsin Liu, Ali Elrashidi, “A New Model of the Lifetime of Wireless Sensor Networks in Pure water communications”, International Journal of Computers & Technology, Vol. 3, No.1, pp.24-33, August 2012.
- A. Elrashidi, K. Elleithy, and Hassan Bajwa, “The Performance of a Cylindrical Microstrip Printed Antenna for TM10 Mode as a Function of Temperature for Different Substrates,” International Journal of Next-Generation Networks (IJNGN), Jul. 2011.
- T. Sobh, Khaled Elleithy, J. Lee, A. Elrashidi, J. Joy, and L. Manole, "Design and Implementation of Wireless Camera, Communication and Control Modules for a Transformable Unmanned Aerial Vehicle", the Journal of Intelligent and Robotic Systems, Springer, April 2011.
- Naser A. Abu-Zaid and H.Tosun: "Finite element analysis of tow-dimensional EM scattering via Pade' Approximation for complex permittivity", American Geophysical Union, Radio Science, Vol. 37, No. 1, February 20, 2002.
- Naser A. Abu-Zaid nad H.Tosun: "Pade' Approximation for Extended Boundary Condition Method in Electromagnetic Scattering Analysis", Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 32, No. 2, January 20, 2002.
- Naser A. Abu-Zaid, A. Niazi, and H.Tosun: "State-Space formulation of two- dimensional electromagnetic scattering from dielectric cylinders", American Geophysical Union, Radio Science, Vol. 34, No. 2, pp.297-309, March-April 1999.
- Salah Abdallah, Essam Yousef, Mohammad Alkatab, Issameddin Abdullah, “The effect of PH on the hydrogen and oxygen production using photovoltaic power generator”, Int. J. of Sustainable Water and Environmental Systems Volume 5, No. 1 (2013) 7-12.
Applied Research submitted to UBT research center
- "MODELING AND IMPLEMENTATION OF GRID CONNECTED HYBRID WIND/SPV SYSTEM AND APPLICATION FOR SAUDI SITE"
Principal Investigator: Dr. Elsayed Abdel Razek Elfar
Co-investigator: Eng. Deiaa Eid
- "PORTABLE REMOTE PATIENT MONITORING SYSTEM"
Principal Investigator: Deiaa Ali Abdelaziz Eid
Co-investigator: Dr. Elsayed A. Elfar